Position: Python Microservice Engineer
Location: Canary Wharf, London (2 days per week onsite, 3 days per week remote)
Reports to: Head of Data and Software Engineering
As a Python Microservices Engineer, you will be joining a growing team of software engineers, data modellers, and quants.
As a team, you will design, develop, and maintain a digital platform that comprises multiple applications including settlements tools, forecasting, calculation engines, data portals, and other applications that the business requires to help the UK achieve Net Zero by 2050.
You will be working with multiple different project teams covering generation areas such as nuclear, hydrogen, solar, and tidal power.
- This role is very hands-on with coding so you will need to be comfortable getting stuck in.
- Design highly scalable software solutions to improve functionality and system longevity.
- Work with technical business analysts and solution architects to fine-tune requirements and ensure that wants are feasible and pragmatic and validate development tasks in Jira.
- Translate designs and wireframes into high-quality code.
- Develop new user-facing features using React.js.
- Develop modules that satisfy the functional and non-functional requirements.
- Coordinate deployments with the Release Manager and monitor for successful integration.
- Manage the design, build, and test bug fix prerogatives.
- Prepare, review and build reusable components and front-end libraries.
- Build reusable components.
- Participate in the maintenance and improvement of existing applications.
- Optimise microservices for maximum performance.
- Contribute to the wider engineering team.
- Stay abreast of developments in web applications, analytics, and programming languages.
Required Skills & Experience:
- At least 3 years experience in coding Python and 1+ years using the Django framework.
- At least 1 year of coding in a front-end capacity (preferably React but other languages will be considered)
- Microservices and using related tools – e.g. Docker, Docker Compose, Kubernetes, logstash and using messaging tools e.g. Rabbit MQ, Apache Kafka.
- RESTful API development and management, Transactional management.
- Databases – e.g. SQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB and Linux OS.
- Experience with data science libraries is beneficial
- Performance Tuning.
- Solid understanding of design patterns and relevant implementation models.
- Solid understanding of DevOps tooling, GitLab, CI/CD, Jenkins, build pipelines and source control systems.
- Working knowledge of cloud infrastructure services: compute, storage, networking, hybrid connectivity, monitoring/logging, security and IAM.
- Knowledge of other languages (e.g. C#, C) is a plus.
- Ideally previous experience in the electricity and gas utility sector.
- Circa £80k GBP per annum
- 25 days' annual leave and bank holidays
- Recognition schemes allowing colleagues to say thanks
- Company contribution to your pension scheme
- Family-friendly policies, including enhanced company maternity/paternity and shared parental benefits
- Employee assistance programme for free, confidential support for your professional or personal life, including financial management and family care
- Special leave such as study leave, sabbatical or public duties
- Three days of paid leave a year for volunteering to support your local community
- Season ticket loan scheme to support your commute
- Access to “Work Perks” offering deals, discounts and cashback on your purchases
- Family savings on days out and English Heritage or gym discounts through our partners.
Contact Person: Elvis Eckardt